Monday, May 5, 2008

My Blush with Greatness

Possibly the worst picture possible, but I swear to you I'm side-hugging Sheri Dew!! Arrggh I wish I'd had my digital camera! Apologies for the blurry camera phone pictures. In case you ever happen to see this, I'm sorry Sheri, but it means the world to me and I had to share!

Me, Michelle and Mom went to Women's Conference last weekend and Sheri Dew was the speaker in the opening General Session. I have to give all the credit to Michelle and her brave friend Cressent for meeting her first and shaking her hand. We were waiting for one of our classes to start and they found me and Mom coming back from the little girls' room and told us, "Hurry, shake my hand, we just met Sheri Dew!" I snatched the second-hand handshake right up! I SO wished I could have met her, but I would have called it good with a handshake from my lucky sister. Michelle pointed her out sitting in the front row and the next thing I know I'm walking over to her. I feel really bad about it now. How rude of me to be so presumptuous that Sheri would want to be bothered by anyone, let alone take a picture. I couldn't help myself though. I love Sheri Dew! She's such an amazing person! And so that's what I told her, and how much I appreciated her talk an hour ago. Then I asked her to take a picture with me. Does she look annoyed to you? Now that I look at it I'm afraid she might have been, but I can't say I blame her. When I first walked up to her I was as cool as a cucumber, but after the first minute I got really nervous and flustered and I really don't know what I managed to squeak out after that. I did managed to make it back to my seat and show off my ridiculously blurry picture though.

Here we are at the concluding General Session. Again, blurry, but I still think we're cute.


This is another exciting moment! It's President Monson, I promise. He's walking on to the stand with his wife and making sure she gets a seat, too cute. We were behind the stand and close enough that we could read the teleprompter. A very enlightening experience. For example, in between speakers there's a message: *DO NOT TOUCH THE MICROPHONE* I for one feel like all caps is shouting and I couldn't help but wonder if the speakers felt the same way, including the prophet. It was hard not to read ahead in his talk either. But guess what? He doesn't read it word for word. I think that's cool.

Women's Conference was fantastic and I can't wait to go again. Thank you Mom, Michelle, and Cressent. Oh, and Bob, Chris and Dad!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You always have to one up me, don't ya;)? In case the winky face doesn't say it, I just kee-deeng! That's really exciting that you ladies got to meet The Dew, and if it helps, she doesn't look annoyed to me.

Jenny said...

Totally jealous! You knew I would be though, you know how much I love Sheri Dew!
How could anyone be annoyed when they are being admired? I bet she was thrilled that you cared enough to go talk to her. Wouldn't that make YOU feel good, to have some starnger come up and tell you how wonderful you are? I think it would. It probably made her day.

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Thanks for putting in the pics of us for Women's Conf. I thoroughly enjoyed the conference! I was so happy to be with 'two' of my daughters. Next time we go, LISA WILL BE WIH US! :o)