Monday, April 28, 2008

Kitchen Makeover - More Demo and "You know you live in an older home when..."

things like THIS fall out of the rafters!
That's a half-eaten RODENT who's little carcass has been nicely preserved thanks to the bone-dry climate of Utah! I'll save you from any more details except that it fell out of the dropped ceiling while they were tearing it down today. Mmm, makes you miss my home cookin' don't it?! Or maybe just thankful you missed it in the first place :)
Here are some shots of said dropped ceiling being torn down:
You may not have known that tearing out the ceiling was NOT part of the original renovation plan. Bob was being oh so logical with money matters and said that we'd do it later. For the record, I was not on board with that idea, but I'm also not so great at saving money either. Well today was my lucky day because Bob and Steve peeked up into the ceiling and found nothing there to stop them. So they went for it! And here it is:That's nearly a foot higher! It really opens the room and makes me feel like much less of a giant, which is always kinda nice for me. So perhaps you're wondering, "Why on earth did they lower it to begin with?!" Well, I wondered that, maybe you didn't. But as it turns out, this is the reason why:
This little portion of the heating duct runs halfway into the kitchen. But it also runs into the dining room, and they didn't drop that whole ceiling. Must have been "in" back in 1979 when they built the house to drop the ceiling for a box of flourescent lights. Groovy? Not so much if your as tall as that ceiling.

So anyway, we're installing cabinets along that wall. They won't reach the ceiling because we ordered them before we decided to rip it out, but now I guess I'll have some open space above them for something to dress up my kitchen. We'll see. At this point it's a little hard for me to imagine the finished product, but rest assured you'll see it when I do!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww! I hate rodentry! One morning there was this massive rat taking cover right outside our kitchen door, blech! And don't get me started on my possum hatred, monster sized rats with little baby hands? Not natural. BUT I'm psyched for your heightened ceilings. Feeling like a giantess can get a little old.

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Wowser! Wowser! I remember those flourescent panel lights. That was then! Glad it's not now! ;o)
Good call on the ceiling being 'raised!' :o) You have 'tall' beautiful/handsome' people in that house! :o) Wait until your children turn into teenagers! Quintin is coming right along! Thanks for the updates with pics! :o)

Jenny said...

First off, I am disguted by the half eaten rodent. I sympathize with the outrage you must have felt when it fell from the ceiling. I symathize because over the last year and a half I have found and killed over 20 mice!! Yikes. In fact the most recent mouse killing happened just a few days ago. Tom let me sleep in and he was up with Haylie. When I dragged myself out of bed and into the family room and plopped myself down on the couch I noticed that there was a mouse, caught in a mouse trap in the middle of the floor! How had Tom missed the obvious mouse...how had Haylie managed to stay away from the mouse? It was still alive! It had managed to drag himself out from underneath the table where I had placed the trap. It had struggled to move it's little mouse body and trap at least a foot out into the open. It was horrible, horrible!
P.S. How tall are you?