Did I really just start another blog?
Yes, I did.Well, I wouldn’t really call it a blog. It’s more like a virtual photo album of my alter ego: Miss Julie.
Actually, I’m merely on the sidebar. It’s all pictures of my adorable little students doing all sorts of things that make up our typical day at school. It’s pretty amazing to watch these tiny people each day. I love it.
In January it had been 1 year since Zachary started school. It’s been so much fun to see him enjoy learning so much. Technically, he’s the Montessori veteran around here. Braxton and I didn’t start until April, but I’m so glad that we did. It’s been such a unique learning experience for me and my boys.
Last January I was so nervous about starting my semester of student-teaching and having to leave my little boys for so long everyday. It felt like it was the longest 3 months of my life and yet each day flew by so fast. There never seemed to be enough time in each day. Of course, I still feel like that some days. There were so many nights that I fell asleep sitting on the couch holding my laptop only to wake up (or feel Bob wake me up) around midnight to the slideshow screensaver and drool on my shirt. No lessons planned, no papers graded and only 5 hours of sleep to look forward too anyway even if I still just went straight to bed. About midway through the semester I resorted to going to bed at the same time the boys would go down (8:30 ish) and then wake up at 2am to get my work done. That was 6 good hours of sleep and a nice block of uninterrupted time! I was very productive the last half of my student-teaching semester. Despite the crazy hours and the crazy 7th graders I taught, my teaching experience was a truly positive experience, and I’m so very thankful for that!
Only 1 week after I had submitted my student portfolio, gave myself a good pat on the back for finally finishing school and had promised myself a nice long vacation from everything, I somehow found myself saying, “Yes, I’d love to commit to months of Montessori training to become a teacher at my son’s school!” Never mind that I am SO done with school. Never mind that I have a Bachelor’s in Biology and a Teaching Certificate for Secondary Education. Never mind that I’m completely exhausted. I’d love to work part-time! But deep down I think I really did. It took so much energy to finish school that I felt guilty not planning to do a single thing after all was said and done. My plans of being a lazy lump felt completely selfish, not to mention thoughtless, useless and pointless.
So the very week I started working was the week Braxton started school too. The best part is that my boys get to come with me to work every day and I know what a beautiful and peaceful environment they are in all morning. We aren’t in the same classrooms, but I still get to see them throughout the day and I have a pretty good idea of what they’re up to when I’m not around.
7 comments:
I love this post! Love that you are teaching and loving it, seeing your cute boys during the day, and hopefully sleeping more.
What a blessing that things have worked out so well. I bet you are a fabulous teacher!
You are AMAZING! Carson misses school so much. You are so good at what you do. I miss learning from you too. It looks like things are going great! Keep up the good work. I love your new picture slide blog!
Zachary is such a little Bob. So cute. I love that you are doing preschool. I bet you are so good. It is fun seeing pictures of you and your family. We miss you. It would be fun to get together and catch up.
I love that you are posting again!! It's so nice to catch up on what is going on with your family! Yes, I too was amazed that you said 'yes' to a job two weeks after finishing! You started working before graduation or just after! Your school seems wonderful and what a '+' to have your boys coming and leaving with you! :o)
i love your blog layout,and you have officially been added to my blogroll so i can keep better track of you! it is so funny that you are teaching at a Montessori school, i have been completely consumed with the Waldorf methodology; although i think montessori and waldorf conflict on a few issues, I've been feeling like i should also look into montessori methods to see what i can glean from it. I think it is awesome that you are teaching there! How did you choose that school to send your son to? The more i read about alternative teaching styles the more i'm turned off of our public school system (sadly). Of course Eden is not quite three so i have time.
I'm sure you are a GREAT teacher, keep the posts coming I'm eager to hear how you balance it all--school, family, church, and work. You are pretty amazing!
It must feel so good to be done with school and doing something with what you earned.That's so fantastic that you are going to be teaching part time. I wish I lived in Utah so I could send my kids to your school.
Time seems to have flown by and I can't believe it's been so long since we've talked. I think about you tons though and I'm going to call you soon!
Post a Comment