Just about every day after school I ask Zack, “So what did you do today?”
I know he does far more than he could possibly remember to recount for his persistent and sometimes pesky mom, but I do expect him to be able to give me the highlights of the day. I’m not sure why, but his usual response is only ever 1 or 2 seemingly small activities, “I did the strawberry work,” or “I did the stamping work.”Since I’m fairly familiar with the options he has in his class I know how many other possible activities he could have fit into his daily doings in addition to those fun little works. Sometimes I’ll do a little digging and try to ask open-ended questions to get his wheels turning and short-term memory juices flowing.
Not always successful. Slightly disappointing.
So I tend to rely on his teacher for feedback and I regularly check her class blog (of which I totally copied for my own class). But apparently that still leaves a few gaps in my parental account of his progress at school .
As we were getting his Valentine’s ready for his class party (meaning we needed to address them and sign ‘From: Zack’) I discovered what my smarty pants hasn’t been telling me…
Last time I checked, he was still scratching out Z-A-C-K in all caps. Often with backwards Z's and C's.
The very next day (last Thursday) his teacher walks him into my classroom as we were lining up for recess and has Zack show off his little whiteboard filled with words he had written, “mom, day, cat, fan…” He’s figured out how to write all 26 letters (“short uphill stroke, around to two…”) and after that they pretty much string themselves together. When Zack first started school he loved learning phonograms (the letters and their sounds). Since he knows the sounds he just glues them together to make words. I know this is the method we teach at our school, I just didn’t expect Zack to be putting it all together yet. He doesn’t start Kindergarten until Fall and I’m pretty much in denial that he keeps growing up in the first place. This development was a little bittersweet for me.
But not to be out done by his big brother, Braxton shows me he knows a thing or two as well:
Now if they could just go without fighting with each other all day...THAT would be something indeed!
4 comments:
Julie, your kids are so cute! I'm learning so much through your posts, i'm so glad you have this blog! Are you going to send Zach to public school when he turns five? I wish we had more options in the public school system about the methods of teaching used. I'm sure that it will drastically differ from what Zach has been taught, but he'll probably be so ahead that it won't matter much. Cute boys, thanks for sharing.
Wow! Zach was writing in 'cursive'! Does he know how to 'print'? Braxton is a mini-Julie, only he is a boy. What I mean is he is so you! Zach is a mini-Bob, not just in looks. Both are so lucky to have such great parents! ♥ Mom
Little smarty-pants!
Oh come on! I can't believe these two smarty pants, and since everything is all about me I will tell you that now I feel like a complete loser. I mean, Matilda can't even read yet, what are we waiting for!?
Well, petty jealousies aside, I wanted to tell you that ever since I first read this post you know, days and days ago, I have been so tickled by picturing Zack say "I did the strawberry work." I don't know why, this just seems like the CUTEST thing ever! The strawberry work. I really just love it, I also love those boys. Squish 'em for me, would ya?
Post a Comment