I love Conference weekend. I know I'll always get a spiritual kick in the butt. I need that occasionally. Because this year I'm really trying to keep the messages close to my heart and really live them.
It started with Women's Conference back in May:
Awake, Arise and Come Unto Christ - Sheri Dew
(I think you can even watch it here!)
"I believe in who you are too much to soft-peddle the truth. So today, I wish to speak the unvarnished truth. My message is a plea and an expression of complete confidence in us...
My sisters, I invite you to rally to the most demanding but most inspiring of all causes— the cause of Jesus Christ—and to do what Moroni exhorted us to do, to “Awake, Arise,and Come Unto Christ” (see Moroni 10:31–32). I invite us to awake to who we are and to the expansive reach of our influence as women of God. To arise by making of our lives a ministry, as the Savior did. And to come unto Christ by walking away from the world."
That reminded me of Elder Bednar's talk during April Conference when I'm fairly certain his words were directed to me personally. He just didn't come right out and say my name on TV:
Ask in Faith - Sunday Afternoon Session:
Sister Ward, "If you and I would truly pray and ask in faith, as did Joseph Smith—if we would pray with the expectation to act and not just to express—then the work of proclaiming the gospel would move forward in a remarkable way."
Then it was the Relief Society Broadcast:
Fulfilling the Purpose of Relief Society - Julie B. Beck
"You are doing a magnificent work. Yet we feel impressed to say that there is more to be done. We have sought inspiration from the Lord to know how to assist the priesthood in building up the kingdom of God on the earth. It is time for Relief Society to fulfill its purpose as never before...
We can do the work of the Lord in His way when we seek, receive, and act on personal revelation. Without personal revelation, we cannot succeed. If we heed personal revelation, we cannot fail. The prophet Nephi instructs us that the Holy Ghost will show us “all things what [we] should do." It was prophesied that in the latter days the Lord would pour out His Spirit upon His handmaids. This will happen as we allow ourselves to be still enough and quiet enough to listen to the voice of the Spirit."
Did anyone else hear her say my name?! Because I swear I heard her say it. "Julie...there is more to be done! Did you forget your purpose? Here, let me remind you what the Lord has asked of you..."
Umm, well, you see Sister Beck, I'm kinda busy...I've been thinking about the Lord's work, I really have. I'm trying to remember to ask him daily what His will is for me. Honest. I've just been so busy lately, so many things to do! I...I...well, okay, you got me. I think I DID forget! Thank goodness it's General Conference. I could use a good butt-kicking.
So here's a few of the things the leaders of the church told me this weekend (FYI- transcripts should be up on lds.org by Thursday):
--Julie, get your butt to the temple!
(Sylvia H. Allred - R.S. Broadcast)
--You're an RM for Heaven's sake, Julie! Preach the Gospel!
(Sylvia H. Allred - Saturday Morning Session)
--Sister Ward, do you remember how your Mission President tried to teach you about Spiritual Creation and you wouldn't do it? We're gonna try this again.
(David A. Bednar - Saturday Afternoon Session)
--Find Joy in the Journey, Julie. Stop getting so worked up about your messy kids and give them hugs and kisses instead. And stop longing for the days when you'll have all the free time in the world, because you've got time now so make it count!
(Thomas S. Monson - Sunday Morning Session)
--Remember when Chris made you memorize the Standard of Truth before you left on your mission? Why don't you review that again and get to work? "He's not asking us to cross the plains - He's asking us to cross the street!"
(Russell M. Ballard - Sunday Morning Session)
--And don't forget to hold Family Home Evening and teach all this great stuff to your kids!
(Thomas S. Monson - Sunday Afternoon Session)
What's that? You guys listened to Conference too? That's weird. I thought for sure it was just for me this time.
Family
I Frequent...
Monday, October 6, 2008
Conference Boost
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks Julie, I needed to hear that and be reminded in a more personal way. I'd like to just say you are right, and I did hear them say your name, but I was under the impression, it was my name they were calling. I LOVED conference too. Maybe because I actually got to hear 90%, took lots of notes and prayed that I could learn something personal this time. Lots to ponder now. Good luck to you! :0)
Wow! Awesome post! I have to confess that May Women's Conf. seems like a light year in the past! I loved the reminders, especially the one about...'Lord, what do you want me to do for you today?' I loved GC. It was awesome! My favorite was E.Bednar about 'pray with gratitude and ask for nothing and your prayers will be answered!' I'm sure that was directed to me as 'I'm always asking!' I do say a lot of 'thank thees' as well, but much more asking! I'm sure that talk will be a 4th Sun. less in the near future! Thanks for all the 'reminders!'
Love ya!
Mom :o)
Finally I found someone who heard the messages being shared! You must have great hearing to hear over my extremely loud offspring!
Thanks for taking notes!
Great post!
I guess if you are going to give "spiritual creation" another shot, I can too! Remember how we use to laugh into the night about that? Those were some good times. Me wearing the nose and glasses and you playing the guitar.
yes whenever you want to cruise on down to Ephraim i would love to go! Let's hang out soon! Oh what are the boys going to be for halloween?
Post a Comment