Monday, June 9, 2008

Kitchen Makeover - In Which I Am Banned...

...banned from making decisions on my own about paint color without Steve's supervision. And now I'm sorry. And I wouldn't even post these pictures because of that very fact, but I guess I should admit my mistakes and let others learn from them. Also, Mom will NOT stop bugging me about my short hiatus in posting. But please help me feel better about it by letting me explain a few things before I let you see it (because that's what I'd do if you were at my front door too).


You see, I really really really wanted to paint the kitchen red. I know it's a bold color, but there's plenty of white to tone it down a drop. Now Steve warned me that I had to make sure it was a GOOD red if I was going to do red at all, but that if I did it would look great. Now might be a good time to mention that Bob was okay with any color EXCEPT red. So I did my best to convince him that he was the only one that didn't want red. With slumped shoulders and a defeated tone in his voice Bob finally said, "It's your kitchen so it will probably end up being the way you want it anyway." I took that as a yes and decided that the kitchen would definitely be red! So my plan was to get the good red at the store on Monday morning so that it would be ready when the painter showed up that afternoon. Well Travis the Painter showed up first thing that day and I had no paint yet. I also developed a small conscience overnight and felt bad that Bob didn't want red. I talked this over with the painters and we decided that an accent wall in red would be a happy compromise. For the record, Steve also told me not to do an accent wall. Then the only problem that remained was that I still did not have the good red. Not to worry though right? These guys are painters, they just happen to have a selection of paint colors. And on top of that they have a surefire red that will look great, they say. Well to make a long story short I'll just say that Steve was right and the Painters and I were not.



Maybe you can't even tell from these pictures but the red is a little too much like ketchup in my eyes. The glossy finish only adds to that. I wanted a matte finish and a deeper red. And the accent wall just looks like the room isn't finished being painted. So my happy compromise just turned out to be me being wrong, and I hate it when that happens. But other than the paint it's a nice looking kitchen right?! I like everything else, except that light in the dining room and I'm replacing with something like this, or maybe this.

So what's the new paint color, you ask? It's not red. It's a green suede by Ralph Lauren, something close to the Durango green you can see here. It's not red, and that makes me a little sad, but so does the ketchup on my kitchen wall right now. So here's to ketchup on lots of hotdogs instead of walls this summer! This one's for you Lisa!

7 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Bravo Julie! Finally! I'll speak in behalf of everyone "Thank you for your post!" Gorgeous kitchen/dining room! Hmmm, that red was interesting! Definitely a picnic color! Cute Dancing Hot Dog flick! I think the painters had poor taste with that red! I know your taste and you would have chosen 'the right shade of red!' As for the light fixture, it should go with the decor. I kind of like either the round crystal one (the elongated one was a bit ballrooom!)or the 5 light one. Which ever you choose, you have to 'clean' them! :o)
Love ya!
Mom :o)

*julie* said...

Mom, didn't the $2500 price tag tip you off that I just might be kidding? I love you.

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Oops! I guess I didn't look at the price tag!
I love you too!
Mom :o)

Lisa said...

Ahh, thanks sis! I have to admit that I was only 97% sure you were joking, I clicked back a couple times to try and decide but never had the presence of mind to look at the price, shoot! Well I like the one that you picked, and I'm sorry about the paint ordeal but yes, it's a beautiful kitchen!

Rachel Sue said...

Just a little bit jealous of your gorgeous and HUGE kitchen!

Campbell said...

I love the new kitchen it is so pretty!
Alycia

Jenny said...

I'm not allowed to choose paint colors either! Probably because I painted the master bedroom 'barbie doll pink'. In my defense, it looked like a neutral pink on the little paint sample I had so I don't think it's really my fault...but the green/yellow kitchen and ugly blue bathroom were my fault. Lucky for me right after we painted the kitchen and bathroom we found out we had high toxic levels of mold and were forced to move, and leave behind the hideous paint.