Friday, March 19, 2010

I happen to like Granola…

granola-2

Click here for a yummy and EASY recipe.  I mean really, you probably have all these ingredients already.  Think “food storage rotation” and the yummy cereal/snacks you could be eating - you couldn’t NOT make it!

I also like Yoga.  And Hiking.  And Camping.  I own some Rock Climbing gear (but it hasn’t been used since before Braxton was born).

CommunityYoga

A few years back, a buddy of mine discovered that these were some of my interests.  He gave me a curious look and asked, “Are you, like, granola?!”

Huh?!  I’d never actually heard the term before then and wasn’t quite sure how to respond.  “Uh, are you, like, ridiculous?”  Is that a compliment?  Or are you embarrassed to be seen with me now?  Regardless, I am what I am, I like what I like.  If some people consider that to be “granola” (this “dictionary" definition cracks me up!) then rock on.  I tend to like the simple things in life.  Actual, wholesome, tasty granola being one of them.

I’m also slightly non-committal.  I wouldn’t consider myself really good at (or passionate about) any one thing.  I have too many interests and too little time to be good at any of them.  That would be the case for gardening, sewing and nearly any other interest I claim.  Maybe one day I’ll be good enough at something that you can feel comfortable calling me about it for input.  I think I’d like that.

So that being said, I frequent far too many blogs about things I’m “interested” in, but wouldn’t consider myself passionate about.  I sure do like good food for thought.  I have a little list of links in my sidebar to take you to some of those places I’m curious about these days, if you give a hoot.  I seem to be drawn to some slightly, dare I say, “granola”-ish posts lately.  Is the more politically correct term “green”?

And in case anyone else out there IS an expert in any of the kinds of things I’m wondering about at the moment - lay it on me.  Why does composting intrigue me, yet stymie me?  What are your thoughts on recycling (or I could also ask, UPcycling)?  Ever heard of Hypnobirthing?  What the heck are cole crops?  Or is it cold crops?  Is it too soon to start seeds for everything I want to put in my garden and/or yard?  I’m all about seeds this year.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

On that note, Happy late St. Patricks Day!  We all at least wore green but I don’t think a single one of us ate a single green/Irish item of food.  I’m not a very festive person.  But, I DID buy peas today.  Because #1: the nursery is on the way home from school and #2: I’ve often heard among other gardening folk: “Peas by St. Patricks Day!”  So I will attempt to plant peas in my garden this weekend – exciting!  At least for me.  And the boys were pretty excited to pick them out too (and the carrots, and the tomatoes, and whatever else looked pretty on the package).  Spring is here!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

My name is Rain, I my skirt is made out of wheat and I own my own kiln...
Hee hee, I think you are awesome for pursuing what interests you, I always think you are so adventurous and a real liver - as in one who LIVES!
Good luck on the peas!

Colburns said...

I also Love yoga and Granola hahah, I am waiting for a yoga class to come open at the gym and then I will teach it!

Rachel Sue said...

Yes, I've heard of hypnobirthing, that's how I had Eric. I loved it, julie. If you are thinking about it, do it. So worth it.

Also, composting= super easy. I keep a bowl under my sink (mostly just during the summer, though) and put all of my food scraps (but no meat or dairy) and then dump it in a corner of the garden. Till it under every couple of weeks, and thats it! You can also put grass clippings, leaves and even weeds as long as they haven't gone to seed.

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Loved your post! Good luck on the peas. They do like the cool weather to get started. It takes a lot of pea plants to harvest peas! Just ask your dad! Love the Montessori side bar. It really gives a birds eye view of how the school works. What a wonderful program! I do like the way you post 'comments' on all your pictures. It explains what is going on. The other two classes (Braxton & Zachary) were good too. They might use 'comments' as well. It's a job just getting the pictures up probably. Thanks for going the extra mile! ♥

Lindsay said...

I wish I could be more granola-y! No mountains nearby for me, and I'm afriaid the garden is low on the list of priorities right now. I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Jenny said...

What do you mean your not a "festive person". I seem to recall a certain someone bring a little Christmas magic into our lives by giving us "Sparkly Joseph". Not festive, bah!