Friday, September 25, 2009

Harvest


Seriously folks!
I am fairly certain I have a black thumb and I have no idea what I'm doing. And yet, things are growing, producing, and in a few cases, thriving.

Indulge me for a minute please...because today we harvested:
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Strawberries
Jalapenos
and one Bell Pepper
(that doesn't include the berries in my garden because, well, there aren't any. I'll only get berries on the 2nd year's growth.

I. am. amazed.

But it probably helps that Doug set up a drip system to actually water my garden this year.

The boys helped me pick some tomatoes. With 3 plants I already have entirely too many tomatoes on my hands. Michelle - please help.
Braxton lasted as long as it took him to find green ones and use them as grenades. Then he was sent off to play on the "swing" (also commonly referred to as a garden hose).



Ah, the simple things in life:

Earlier this month the boys helped me with another harvest:
Apples.
And if you're Zack, that only means one thing:
APPLESAUCE!

This is one of Zack's favorite things to do, apparently, because nearly every time he sees apples (any time of year) he asks me when we're going to make applesauce. Thankfully we finally made it to September and he got his wish.

This year, however, I've discovered we have quite the production team now that Braxton is a little older. These guys really did all the work. I think we'll have to make more applesauce, just because it's so much fun for them (and easy for Mom)!



Happy Fall, y'all.

5 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Julie, I am soooo impressed! Great job on your garden! Great job on the sprinkler system that Doug did! The boys look like work is FUN! So cute! :o)

Lisa said...

Yay for your garden, that's on my someday list. I love the pictures of the boys making applesauce, it makes me imagine you having some thriving applesauce business and maybe on the labels there's a picture of you in an apron smiling warmly, the picture of wholesomeness - and then the muscle behind the whole outfit is two tiny boys cranking, coring and smooshing away... probably they would have sweat on their brows.

Sara said...

I am so impressed! I can't wait for the day when I have a garden and something grows in it. Good Job! Braxton is so cute. You are so domestic with your applesauce making.

Lindsay said...

Wow! What a lovely garden. I wish we lived closer and I'd gladly take some of those tomatoes off your hands.

Colburns said...

Good job on your garden Julie! I wish I could grow one, I keep saying I will .... we will see