Monday, January 12, 2009

My First Day of Junior High

All over again.

It's not cool to show up early. Nobody else did.
It's not cool to sit on the front row. Nerd.
It's not cool to wear whatever I decide to wear. Even if it's new (dang it).
It's not cool to talk to the cool kids. Ever.
It's not cool to look at the cool kids. Or else.
It's not cool to be friendly. Scowl or be scowled at.
It's not cool to bring PB&J for lunch. School lunch or starve.
But most of all...
It's not cool to comb or cut your hair.
Forget it. I'd rather be a dork.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

The visualizations I get from reading this post make me shudder, good luck sister dear.
Also, heck yes to the pattern swap, although I've also recently become obsessed with the frenchy bag and am thinking I'll have my own copy of that one pretty soon. Oh Amy.

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Good post! I had to laugh. These kids who are trying to 'fit the mold'. I can remember telling you kids, 'You don't have to be clone or follow everyone off the cliff just because everyone else is doing it. Be youself!' What they don't realize is 'The coolest one is the one being themself!' :o) Those kids will learn that 'way after' Jr. High! :o)

Rachel Sue said...

You are so brave.

Lanie Jane said...

Love your blog!

Thought you may be interested in a giveaway! Come by and check it out!

xo jane

Amanda and Ryan McCarty said...

I don't wish Jr.High on my worst enemy. I am sure you are loved!! Good luck.

Kathleen Gauger said...

Hi Julie, Thanks for commenting on my blog. I try to get back to all those who make comments to tell them that I appreciate that they do enjoy my blog and hopefully can use the things that I design to help them with their visiting teaching. I loved reading your bio and you sound like a very good person. Best wishes and happy Visiting Teaching! Best regards, Katie ( author of Visiting Teaching Tips, handouts and Ideas and Visiting Teaching Surprise)