Saturday, August 28, 2010

Battlecreek Falls

[Note:  There seems to be an excessive use of the word “little” in this post, but hey, it was a little hike!]

Just in case you like hiking as much as I do, here’s another little one the little boys did with me.  I’m a little sad that I didn’t pull out my camera for the first part of the hike because there was another family with a tiny little dog and they let Braxton hold her leash and walk her half way up to the falls.  A tiny little boy with a tiny little dog  - it was pretty darn cute!

Just after we gave the dog back to her owners we came across a little cave just begging to be stopped at for a photo op.

DSCN1957

DSCN1941

 

Once we made it to the falls the owner of our little adopted dog offered to take our pictures – because, of course, I would love to be in these pictures with my red, sweaty face.  Thanks mister!

DSCN1947 crop

DSCN1949

We had some snacks (well, mom did) while the boys explored the stream by throwing rocks into the water over and over and over again.  Eventually that leads to, “Mom, there was a rock in the water and I just HAD to get it!”  We left this river with only half of their clothes wet.

There were some youth rapelling down from the top of the falls – next time we’ll have to try that!

DSCN1952

(I think Zack is somewhere downstream, about to tell me about that rock he had to get.)

DSCN1954 crop 

And just in case you want to know…

Length: 1.6 miles (round-trip)

Difficulty: EASY

Exposure: Mostly Shaded (earlier in the day)

Hiking Time: 45 minutes – 1.5 hours (unless you’re okay with letting your kids stop and smell the flowers – all of them – in which case it took us nearly 3 hours, but we enjoyed every minute of it.)

5 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Nothing like a good outdoorsey adventure with your little trekker! Awesome! ♥ Mom

SpencernAmy said...

Little? Yeah, I've been on one of your "little" hikes. Was the dog a "little Great Dane?" : )

Just kidding. You guys are fun. Can't wait to do more hikes with you. And for the future we will always pack for the whole day, no matter how "little" the hike is (we're just whimpier than you are).

Mom and Dad said...

We too remember one of your little "unforgettable" hikes. I'm so glad we didn't have to rely on rangers with helicopters to find us :) It really was a great day for family adventure and I'd do it again in a minute.

J.C. Brownlow's said...

I can't believe how big your boys are getting, especially Braxton. We miss you guys a lot! And... You can stalk us as much as you want! ;)

Lisa said...

What adorable little hikers the three of you are:) Next time we're together we should totally try to do a hike, preferably a little one:) I love your pictures!